A power outage is an unpredictable event that could have catastrophic effects on your home and community. It’s important to prepare your family NOW!
Check out these preparation tips:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Have alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
- Check on neighbors.
The Department of Homeland Security’s Ready Campaign is designed to educate the American people on how to prepare for, respond to, and mitigate emergencies. Prepare NOW, Survive DURING, Be safe AFTER.